“If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

it came from a line

Sometimes I wonder why I ever spent so much time dreaming about a project not writing it down.

Sometimes I wonder if the story even means anything to me anymore.

And it still does...

All it  means that I've got to keep following where the muse takes me.

And I find my writing mood takes new directions whenever I've watched something new.



I've been thinking about the movie The Hunger Games and Haymitch's line "They aren't very happy with you". And the scene that follows is so powerful, I was just blown away. It looks simple to the eye - the man that leads the killing under President Snow's command, Seneca, is called to an audience with the President. He has just done something that the President didn't like. Seneca looks around the room, until he spots... a wine glass full of poison berries. To some, the image might not mean anything. But in a dictatorship/police state like Panem where no one is really safe no matter how high up in power you are, the message is clear.

I've always intrigued by apocalyptic and dystopian stories... because I see the world that we live in. A lot of people may not realize it, but there's already police-state elements underneath the surface in the world we live in today. The world we live in is slowly moving towards the like of Panem. It isn't so much the story of The Hunger Games, but the little elements here and there that blew me away - the crowds cheering madly like a bunch of immature children, thirsting for the bloodshed shown on TV (just like in the times of the gladiator) ... the rich people dressed in gaudy clothing and ridiculous makeup, who (as I've seen in a clip on YouTube from this movie's sequel) throw up on purpose to make more room for other delicacies (which reminds me very much of one of the greatest books I've ever read, Quo Vadis).

This was what directed my thoughts towards my story idea entitled (at the moment) "To Kill a President". The idea has changed its course a lot since I first posted it on this blog. But I feel it's ripening and maturing even more now.

Which is just great because I have so many things on my hands now, especially with college starting up again in a few weeks. I thought I was going to work on Innocent... but I suppose I should let those ideas simmer a little now that I just did an outline for a full re-write of everything I've ever done on this project. Then there's two contests I have a mind to enter... one is the The Beauty and the Beast retelling contest that I mentioned on here earlier. The other is an opportunity to be a writer of one of my favourite series - John Paul High II. While I doubt I'd win and I doubt I'd have time, I think I'll try, anyway. And if I did win, then I'd be willing to use all my free time to work on that - because it is a chance of a lifetime.

But, as I said before, I'll follow the muse.


List of works that have inspired this flicker of a flame so far: my own thoughts about the world today and how it could be in the future, The Hunger Games, Quo Vadis1984 (which I still have yet to read)


And I'm going to figure out how to work in the element of heightening the theme of instability and a dictatorship/police-state into my idea... and the way that the government hides from its citizens that they are really in a prison, but they don't realize it.




You could see the fear in the children's eyes.





You told me to run once, now it's my turn to tell you. Run. 
Just run. You have to get out, Lona.





But how could I possibly bring him back?

Be strong, my daughter. Be strong.

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much. And not just because of the Hunger Games-ness of the post and the memes and such. I love dystopian and Hunger Games type books. I really like what you're saying and your idea. I'm most certainly looking forward to more about this To Kill a President idea!

    || the writeress // barefoot in the snow ||

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too! :) :) Actually, it's the first time I've had a story idea that's meant as much to me as Innocent.

      Delete

I'm psyched that you want to bless me with a comment! I dearly love to get any comment about my work, so feel free to critique and/or provide comments/suggestions! God bless! :)